Expand Raspberry Pi capabilities with fundamental engineering principles. Exploring Raspberry Pi is the innovator’s guide to bringing Raspberry Pi to life.
About The Book
- Authors: Dr Derek Molloy.
- Title: Exploring Raspberry Pi: Interfacing to the Real World with Embedded Linux.
- Paperback: 720 pages.
- Released: June 13, 2016
- Language: English.
About The Author
- DR. DEREK MOLLOY is a senior lecturer at the School of Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and Computing, Dublin City University, Ireland. He is also the author of the hugely popular book on the BeagleBone platform titled Exploring BeagleBone, also published by Wiley. His popular YouTube video series has introduced millions of people to embedded Linux and digital electronics topics. He has received several awards for teaching and learning, including the 2012 Irish Learning Technology Association (ILTA) national award for Innovation in Teaching and Learning. The same year, he was also awarded the Dublin City University President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching and Learning.
What I Like
This book favors engineering principles over a ‘recipe’ approach to give you the skills you need to design and build your own projects. You’ll understand the fundamental principles in a way that transfers to any type of electronics, electronic modules, or external peripherals, using a “learning by doing” approach that caters to both beginners and experts.
Exploring Raspberry Pi first covers the basics of the hardware platform, recommended accessories, software, embedded Linux systems, and Linux programming techniques. Then it takes you deeper into interfacing, controlling, and communicating, with detailed information about Raspberry Pi GPIOs, buses, UART devices, and USB peripherals. You will learn to configure a cross-compilation environment in order to build large-scale software applications, as well as how to combine hardware and software to enable the Raspberry Pi to interact effectively with its physical environment. Finally, you’ll discover how to use the Raspberry Pi for advanced interfacing and interactive applications such as the Internet of Things (IoT); wireless communication and control; rich user interfaces; images, video, and audio; and Linux kernel programming.
The Raspberry Pi’s most famous feature is its adaptability. It can be used for thousands of electronic applications, and using the Linux OS expands the functionality even more. This book helps you get the most from your Raspberry Pi, but it also gives you the fundamental engineering skills you need to incorporate any electronics into any project.
- Develop the Linux and programming skills you need to build basic applications
- Build your inventory of parts so you can always “make it work”
- Understand interfacing, controlling, and communicating with almost any component
- Explore advanced applications with video, audio, real-world interactions, and more
You’ll learn to:
- Develop essential Linux and programming skills
- Build the Internet of Things (IoT) applications
- Master interfacing, controlling, and communication
- Design applications that interact with the physical environment
- Utilize the Arduino platform as a service processor
- Build wireless communication applications
- Write and install a custom Linux loadable kernel module
- Apply the Raspberry Pi 3 and Raspberry Pi Zero to your projects
The book starts from basics – Raspberry Pi hardware, basic Linux commands, basic circuits for interfacing, etc. Then gets into the depths of how to interface all of these together. Coding examples in multiple languages build from simple to more complex examples and provide libraries to continue your own programming projects using the knowledge you have gained throughout the book.
It’s the kind of information you need to understand how to develop your own projects. Start It Now!